- A profile holds a set of constraints.
- A profile is itself a document.
- A constraint is a requirement a document satisfies or violates.
- A constraint is expressed as XPath location path together with needed properties.
- Within the context of a document, a constraint builds validators.
- A validation gate holds a set of constraint types and serves as validation executor.
- A constraint is ignored if its constraint type is not part of the validation gate.
- CMV defines four, hierarchically structured validation gates: Basic, Standard, Extended and Strict.
- A validator is called by a validation gate to answer the question if the underlying constraint is satisfied or violated.